permaculture - Re: [permaculture] WTF?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] WTF?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:58:22 -0400

Like I said, I don't deny the research, but I just don't know that it's constructive to frame communications problems in those terms. I think it's enough to simply say that there are different styles of communication (which are affected by a lot of factors including gender, culture, language, and individual upbringing) and it's probably constructive for everyone to work on their communication skills, especially in today's globalized culture.

I also don't necessarily agree that female leadership tends toward more cooperative or peaceful results. We haven't had too many women in power throughout history to use as examples, but those we have had haven't necessarily been shining examples - Margaret Thatcher and Marie Antoinette come to mind. :D Women are just as susceptible as men to being corrupted by power.

I realize there are some generalities that hold true in a lot of cases, but since I've personally been victimized by generalizations far more often than I've been helped (and know many others in the same boat), I tend to poke holes in them much more often than accept them.