permaculture - Re: [permaculture] WTF?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] WTF?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:53:25 -0400

Linda,

I'm a woman (not obvious by my name, I realize) just FYI. :D

I've worked in so called male-dominated fields my whole life, so I'm pretty accustomed to what you're referring to as "boys' rules" of discourse and engage in them myself at times. I also frequently do call for more civility in discussions when I think that's appropriate (and I'm not sure it's always men who get uncivil - I've seen some women who really go off the rails in Internet discussions as well). In other words, I don't have a problem playing around with different styles of discourse in different situations. I try to understand what the other person means when they write, rather than how they say it, and I appreciate when others show me the same courtesy. I also no doubt misread people frequently, and feel that I am frequently misread. The thing that is most likely to make me angry is when people are either being disingenuous, or obviously advocating something that I feel is going to harm a lot of people. In those cases, I don't apologize for responding with anger. Otherwise, I try not to and I appreciate when people clarify something that I misunderstood, and I try to do the same for them. I also admit to losing patience sometimes when it seems people are more interested in dragging out the clarifications than getting to the point.

I know plenty of men who seem to follow this same general approach so... I'm not sure that so much of this is gender based... I really have no idea.