permaculture - Re: [permaculture] WTF?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] WTF?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:44:01 -0400

Oh, I don't deny that. I think what I'm saying is that I'm not sure how constructive it is to frame it in those terms. In my own experience, this only seems to get people more entrenched rather than enlightened. Most people are really loathe to be seen as un-masculine or un-feminine, so if you point to some study that shows there are differences, people will tend to cling to those behaviors as if doing otherwise would betray their gender.

President Obama alluded to this same problem when he spoke about how many black kids in poor areas will put down a friend who reads books for "acting white." I'm sure you could point to statistics that show fewer black kids than white kids read books regularly, but obviously, correlation doesn't equal causation, and this doesn't mean that reading books is or should be something that's associated with "being white." Likewise I think the implication that "women are better at communicating than men," among other things, is self perpetuating.