permaculture - [permaculture] Svar: strategy for dealing with plagiarism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Thomas Paul Jahn" <tpj@life.ku.dk>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Svar: strategy for dealing with plagiarism
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:04:01 +0200

Paul! Instead of the usual reference list (or rather: in addition to) you may
want to consider a list list:
"has been cited at..." or "simply copied from...".
I think the 'way back machine' is a good idea and you have the proof on hand.
This way, at least the people that come to your page will be aware of the
impact of your work.
In any case: I appreciate your work and spirit.
So please carry on
Thomas

>>> paul wheaton 21-08-10 22:57 >>>
Every few months I get obsessed on some topic and write an article -
and I usually spend about 40 hours over the following month polishing
it to make it just right. And then I find it copied and pasted
somewhere without any credit to me. This has been happening more and
more. Today's examples is this article on soil ph (
http://www.richsoil.com/ph/ ) which has been copied here (
http://www.reelyard.com/?p=11 ).

In the dozens of times in the past when I contact folks that do this,
I try to convince them to change it to "here is an article I like" -
maybe have a paragraph and then a link to my article. Instead, about
half the time I get some bullshit about how they wrote it first. So
then I go to the wayback machine and prove I wrote it first. Then
they say that there is no such thing as copyright on the internet.
They are nearly always livid pissed that I could be such an asshole
about it. Well ... it just ends up a big hassle. In the end, they
usually delete it and I feel like crap for having hassled them.

So I already have a way of confronting them that turns into a big shit
storm and ends up with them sending me all sorts of nasty and after
all sorts of pain, they finally delete it.

I want to find an approach so that the response is "sorry about that -
let me make it right by making a link to you and telling folks your
stuff is good!"

So I'm fishing for suggestions. Any ideas on how to approach these
most recent offenders?