permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Designing a Movement (was: Ethics of whatever)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jono Neiger <neiger@csld.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Designing a Movement (was: Ethics of whatever)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:42:28 -0400

Wow...well said Rafter. And I do appreciate Kevin and others for delving
into this hard topic and sticking with it. We do benefit -as a movement if
thats what this is-from the conversation.

I do hear a need to clarify the ethics/values of this movement. I dont
imagine a consensus arising so I dont know what this looks like. But there
are communities that may be using permaculture strategies, using the name
permaculture, and are definitely not within the ethics we hold to. Movements
get co-opted, watered down, and infiltrated. One defense (besides our own
military) is to be in discussion, move towards consensus, and know when its
not permaculture.

Good luck at your CSA workshop at the NOFA conference tomorrow Kevin...

Jono

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM, kevin skvorak <k.skvorak@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks rafter and everyone,
>
> i have to admit it is scary being name-called, even when it is actually
> your
> own name!
>
> one little quick thing inspired by rafter and that is at the heart of my
> motivation for 'starting' all this.
>
> This point about facists, self-identified racists, and other unsavory types
> embracing "Permaculture" :
>
> The way "we" communicate our current principles, (most often vaguely)
> leaves
> plenty of room for them to be interpreted or misunderstood (or ignored) by
> people who then take on the Permaculture "brand" for their own purposes.
> At the heart of my original post, (i am being repetitive i know, sorry!)
> is
> my perspective/contention that we would BENEFIT as a movement (or whatever
> we are) by more clarity, by more detail etc. By doing this we clearly
> exclude (which is ok imo) the white supremecist back-to-the (black peoples)
> land-movement. Or, by adopting a "platform" (not realistic, i know) or
> in some way communicating, say, support for the carbon-reparations language
> worked out in cochabamba (see original thread) we are able to connect with
> and support folks doing this work. Deepening our solidarity with others,
> improving our own PR etc etc.
>
> By being clearer, and more specific about what our principles are and are
> not in practice, we are not limiting the potential of PC to spread, but are
> in fact strengthening it.
>
> thanks,
>
> sorry for pissing folks off.
> i wanna be friends, really i do!
> kevin
>

> re:
> rafter sass rafter at liberationecology.org
>
> Many heartfelt thanks to the folks who have been able to engage with the
> challenges of this conversation without descending into
> name-calling and other juvenilia.

> Kevin Skvorak has Problems.
>

> Two of them, for the purposes of this conversation. ;)
>
> One of them is a Personal Problem - he seems to have contracted the modern
> anarchist's allergy to leadership. The symptoms include putting critique
> before curiosity.
>
> I hope he works on this. I think he would be even more effective in raising
> critical topics and questions if he did.
>
> The other is NOT a Personal Problem. It's another kind of problem
> altogether
> - a Movement Problem.
>

> He wants to be a part of a movement that practices an engaged and ongoing
> dialogue about its own ethics and strategy - and the actually-existing
> Permaculture movement can't really be described this way. Not quite - not
> yet.
>

> What's standing in the way?
> Well, a lot of the movement leadership seems to have contracted the classic
> leader's malaise of allergy to critique.
> Juvenile defensiveness, on the part of our teachers and public faces, is a
> [...]

******************
Jono Neiger
Regenerative Design Group
308 Main St, Suite 2C
Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
413-658-7048
www.regenerativedesigngroup.com

Conway School of Landscape Design
Graduate Program in Sustainable Landscape Planning & Design
www.csld.edu

PINE; Permaculture Institute of the Northeast
www.thepine.org