permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Designing a Movement (was: Ethics of whatever)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew McSwain <aeromax.way@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Designing a Movement (was: Ethics of whatever)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:15:31 -0300

I don't claim to know the answer, but I DO know that it requires more and
different tools than the ones we use to transform an individual, or
regenerate a landscape,
or organize a project, etc. etc.

The tools are different, but the principles used to build such
multifunctional organizational systems necessary to create a large-scale
social movement are the same. The tools are different: Instead of
nitrogen-fixing trees we have community credit-unions and instead of fruit
bearing perrinials we have after-school mentorship programs that are also
the organizing grounds for a youth-led renewable energy revolution.

The tools are different, but the principles of permaculture, like
multifunctionality, long-term thinking, resource cycling and conservation,
and respect for the environment, are the same.

With that being said, I recently brought up the topic in another current
thread about the relationship between landscape design and permaculture. I
believe that nature is a teacher, and permaculture is the language. Cities
today communicate a message of uni-functional elements whose only purpose is
to serve our myopic and immediate self-interests. The unwanted aspects, or
consequences, are relegated to systems that have not yet been organized to
serve our sole benefit.

How we organize our cities is a very clear representation of how we treat
our fellow man, how we treat our environment, and how we treat all life. An
ecoystem could be considered the dialectical opposite of this confused image
of perfection and modernity. Permaculture in our cities is a way to turn our
cities more like ecosystems, and, in turn, could slowly start to change the
way that we organize our desks, our lawns, and our social relationships with
other humans.

As demonstrated by our school systems and modern educational philosophers
like john taylor gatto, * the medium is more important than the message.* If
permaculture is a more just way of organizing our food systems and
communities, then our communities will change to become less fascist and
self-serving of those in control, and start to look more like a forest..
where even the little guys can get enough sun and water to grow and
contribute.

If the medium is the message, and white supremicists REALLY learn the for
real kinda permaculture that we talk about here.. and not just key-hole
design, but the full schebang of an modified ecosystem, then there will be a
practical and philsoophical conflict with the way that they live and the way
that they think about non-white races... The change is slow, but sure. It
will be like the roots that grow on the side of a bare mountain and crush
slowly crush the rock of their ignorance... or the drips that form a cave.

Permaculture, if adopted by EVERYONE (and that even includes white
supremicists, the military, and big-business) It could bring a wave of
extreme change in more than just how we plant our gardens but in how we
plant our children, and how we trim and prune our government.

When I say extreme I don't mean immediate. The change will come not like a
tidal wave, but like the slow and careful growth of the roots of an old tree
in the north-western rainforests of oregon. It's a slow change, one that we
may never see in our lifetimes, but it's a change that that is sure, that
will last.

If this philosophy holds true, then it doesnt matter who adopts permaculture