permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Designing a Movement (was: Ethics of whatever)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Designing a Movement (was: Ethics of whatever)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:47:14 -0400

On 8/14/2010 11:23 AM, kevin skvorak wrote:
thanks rafter and everyone,

i have to admit it is scary being name-called, even when it is actually your
own name!

one little quick thing inspired by rafter and that is at the heart of my
motivation for 'starting' all this.

This point about facists, self-identified racists, and other unsavory types
embracing "Permaculture" :

The way "we" communicate our current principles, (most often vaguely) leaves
plenty of room for them to be interpreted or misunderstood (or ignored) by
people who then take on the Permaculture "brand" for their own purposes.
At the heart of my original post, (i am being repetitive i know, sorry!) is
my perspective/contention that we would BENEFIT as a movement (or whatever
we are) by more clarity, by more detail etc. By doing this we clearly
exclude (which is ok imo) the white supremecist back-to-the (black peoples)
> land-movement.

That is spelled supremacist.

What is your position on Israeli occupation of Palestinian land?

I have heard it said that radical right wing Jews are in a large way responsible for the size and strength of the Tea Party Movement (to undermine the Republicans).

And you want to lock out and exclude people with political views you dislike from the permaculture movement - you'll have to form your own goon squad and send them out to all the permaculture gatherings to enforce your rules - kind of reminds me of the agribiz thugs who invaded migrant labor camps and beat up the Okies in Grapes of Wrath -
nowadays its law enforcement invading natural food stores specializing in raw foods.

WE are all in this together, Kevin, all types and colors. Get creative about how to help people on the ground, hands-on assistance. This first and politics later (I hate politics).

How is your garden doing this year? Plenty of rain? Good harvests?

Or, by adopting a "platform" (not realistic, i know) or

Ah, there you go..."platform"

in some way communicating, say, support for the carbon-reparations language
worked out in cochabamba (see original thread) we are able to connect with
and support folks doing this work. Deepening our solidarity with others,
improving our own PR etc etc.

Deepening solidarity with those who have political views you agree with.

By being clearer, and more specific about what our principles are and are
not in practice, we are not limiting the potential of PC to spread, but are
in fact strengthening it.

thanks,

sorry for pissing folks off.

no cigar there, just laughs

i wanna be friends, really i do!

kevin

You're obviously trolling.

Right wing, neocon, conservative, Christian, fundamentalist, creationist whites, indians, hispanics, blacks, asians, semitics, arabs,
and everyone else are as welcome in this forum as you are as long as they stick to the topic of permaculture. I can see that in your case you're talking about a new brand of permaculture politics, one that has an exclusionary "platform" (see above about the Palestinians).

BTW you were organizing a group of volunteers to go to Haiti to do permaculture relief work. Did this ever happen, did anyone go and do that?