permaculture - [permaculture] Designing a Movement

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: steve read <permaculturefr@free.fr>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Designing a Movement
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:05:58 +0200

This business of racists, fascists, fundamentalists or whatever would seem to me to be a sensitive issue worth discussing.

As PmC continues to spread around the globe and PmC designers and teachers spread further from their socio-cultural bases , they/it/me are going to be dealing with more and more 'edges' where the liberal, democratic values that seem to be those most widely held by those who are active in this PmC 'movement' are not accepted or even rejected.

As nature seems to point the way with dynamically stable systems based on inter-connected diversity, it would seem interesting to copy this. A diversity of human cultures living in abundance and interconnected.

It would seem a reality that christian fundamentalist or muslim fundamentalist or fascist or rascist groups wanting to build self-sustainable communties will or have already discovered the efficiency of PmC in helping them do this. That I might feel that they don't conform to my take on PmC ethics would I imagine worry them little.

However perhaps I must accept that if I want a diversity of human cultures then there will surely be ones which I really wouldn't want to be involved with, but others may. It may even be that they, pushing at an edge, might be the ones who evolve a really wonderful way of living and organising themselves.

Those of us living in the heartlands of liberal majority rule democracy may have a tendancy to see this as the best way to be, I personally don't and here in France the adoption by the 'PmC movement' of consensus as its modus operandi seems a long way from the ballot box of the existing status quo which a couple of years ago gave us yet another 'machine' man who's only aim seems to be tending the vested interest of the existing puerarchy.

A group of us are working to see how we could redesign the current EU political administrative system, as I have mentioned before. A flatland of autonomous local communities, connected together by webs of interdependance seeming both to conform to natures' model and also to the principle of responsibilty as expounded by Mollison.

Questions rest however about what to do with for example a white supremasist community that becomes expansive at the expense of its neighbours or a fundamentalist religious community that outbreeds the carrying capacity of its bioregion.

Steve Read