permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Landscape architecture and permaculture design, differences, how to merge, where does one end and the other begin.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jono Neiger <neiger@csld.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Landscape architecture and permaculture design, differences, how to merge, where does one end and the other begin.
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:58:21 -0400

I have a design firm and offer design services (and land stewardship and
implementation) to people in many settings. I think there is a need for
permaculturists to bring ourselves to the table with other professionals,
particularly designers. We need to be working with and influencing
architects, LA's, engineers, plumbers, electricians, teachers, farmers... As
David Holmgren wrote some time ago we dont need to carve ourselves out as a
separate profession. There isn't the time or need to create the structures
and beauracracy for a new profession. We need to insinuate permaculture
perspectives, ethics, and strategies *into* these other professions. And
thats happening. Many people are taking the ideas and bringing it into their
classrooms, farm fields, design work... I gave a presentation at an
engineers and architects professional training. Most were very snooty about
the ideas and couldn't care less. But there were more than a few that got
it. The other aspect is we have a larger, more whole systems perspective and
can facilitate a team of professionals maybe more wrapped up in their own
specialty.

Architects and (maybe) engineers are looking for what is 'green'. They
really, for the most part, dont know. Its an opportune time to get in there
and make sure its not all greenwash. LEED was meant to be just a beginning
(that from Bill Reed; kudos to his work getting it going and trying to lead
to the next level). Right now- for landscapes- its the 'Sustainable Sites
Initiative'. A decent start to applying standards to landscape but
permaculture was dropped from the recent version. There's mere token mention
of food production and functional landscapes. There more about preserving
views (to create a 'sustainable' landscape!) that about food in the current
standards. There's work to be done...

As far as clients. I find myself bending towards wealthy clients because
thats where the money is. In some ways it might be like working for the
military... Is it a leverage point? Sometimes, sometimes not. Wealthier
clients can also 'subsidize' the others. It takes real effort to make time
for less wealthy clients, keep a diversity of work going, and to be doing
the service work in communities. Its not an easy balance. Demonstration
sites can be a part of that. I myself use my land as a learning laboratory,
trial site, place to bring prospective or current clients, a place to show
anyone what a small homestead designed with permaculture principles could
look like etc...

For the Earth

Jono
Northeast U.S.

******************
Jono Neiger
Regenerative Design Group
308 Main St, Suite 2C
Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
413-658-7048
www.regenerativedesigngroup.com

Conway School of Landscape Design
Graduate Program in Sustainable Landscape Planning & Design
www.csld.edu

PINE; Permaculture Institute of the Northeast
www.thepine.org