permaculture - Re: [permaculture] where you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Margaret L Wilson <booldawgs@cavenet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] where you from?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:29:11 -0800

Hi,
I recently moved to a 53 acre former cattle ranch in the Illinois River Valley in very SW Oregon. We were actually looking for a smaller place when we found this. It has so much potential that it is overwhelming. It is reasonably flat and level. It has been used hard and neglected for many years. It is just amazing that the former owners would let such a beautiful old homestead get so rundown. At one time the back 20 acres was forested but it was cleared to make hay fields. The feral blackberries are trying to reclaim it. Several wetland areas were cleared and attempts were maid to make them pasture. All of the irrigation ditches are getting covered in blackberries and some wild roses. We have 4 small ponds that are virtually dry now, 2 manmade and 2 natural, I believe. They are spring fed and/or filled with irrigation from the distant creek
We have numerous old fruit trees, apple and pear, and I found 2 grapevines under the blackberry bushes. We have gotten in a raised bed garden in the area that was fenced for one. Unfortunately there are some trees that are keeping it from getting enough sun so we will need to move it. We have an incredible old barn that is over 100 years old and one that is over 50. The huge timbers in the oldest barn are just amazing. The old timers did a good job because the roof is almost non existent and it is still in salvageable shape, we think.
We are in our 50s and my husband is gone most of the time so it will take us some time to get this place back to a healthy self sustaining family farm.

We have 4 Dexter cows, 1 bull and 3 calves. We have a mixed herd of about 30 Shetland and Jacob sheep, horse, mule,donkey, chickens, ducks and 4 pigs. They are producing a lot of manure to help improve the badly neglected soil. We have a pretty good population of earthworms so I assume the soil is not completely dead. They pastured down to the ground for a lot of years I think.
I have been here since mid-May. I am definitely feeling overwhelmed :-))))
Margaret