permaculture - RE: [permaculture] where you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin email" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] where you from?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:17:50 -0500

I live near downtown Houston, Texas in a smaller city called Bellaire. It is
a separate town surrounded by Houston and we are near the epicenter of the
urban sprawl. Houston used to be, and it may still be the case, the
metropolis covering the most land mass in the world. It is flat, hot, humid,
covered in concrete and VERY polluted. We refine the majority of the USA's
oil and produce more plastic polymers than anywhere else. The office
buildings are monstrous chrome and glass edifices, towering over the
prairie.

I left idyllic North Carolina to return to this putrid hell hole. To me it
is beautiful and I love it. There are gardens and naturalized plantings
everwhere. With our abundant rainfall the trees are massive and produce
fruit and nuts with abandon. There is plenty of urban wildlife, especially
on the bayous, and the geese migrate here from Canada to feed on the
leavings of the rice fields. My home has chickens, rabbits and bees, along
with producing fruits, nuts and gardens. Hell is where I make my home!

Kevin Topek