permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rhus antidotes/preventatives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rhus antidotes/preventatives
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:31:51 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> May I recommend that you carry with you and keep on hand at all times
> a tincture of Jewelweed.

Thanks, hadn't heard of that one. Jewelweed seems to grow prolifically
in New England (where poison ivy does also), it's a common garden
"weed."

Have you had any experience with rhus homeopathics? My girlfriend
swears it works for her as a preventative, she takes homeopathic rhus
tox before/during working/recreating in areas she might be exposed to
poison ivy.

For poison oak (western states), mugwort is supposedly a topical
post-contact treatment - grab a handful, crush/roll leaves and stems
and rub on any suspected contact areas ASAP. As a bonus, mugwort and
PO often grow together. Don't know if tincture, tea, etc. would have
similar effect.

I also met a person who said they "immunized" themselves by wallowing
in the stuff, then spent three weeks in bed a total mess, and since
then have little or no reaction to it.

Me, I just stay the heck far away from all that stuff. :-p

=====
John Schinnerer, MA