permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Pond Plantings...invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Pond Plantings...invasives
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 05:16:37 -0700

>> Actually my rule for roundup on those invasive weeds is annually,
>> vigorously and indefinitely.
>> Mark L
>
> How 'bout 'Annually, and vigorously until something more useful gets
> established'?
> Scott Hitchins

How 'bout if "annually and vigorously" preclude something more useful
getting established?
speaking as someone who has been known to try roundup when stymied by a weed
problem- it only works sometimes, and I have seen residual effects,
sometimes.
There ain't no silver bullet.
I'd rather hear real-life experiences doing these things.
And what the hell does "vigorously" mean in this context? I thought a big
part of the allure of chemical dependency is the ease of use! ;)

> the perceived only choice might be a resort
>> to something like Round Up.

I like Treesa's comment; it's good to remember when designing plantings and
systems for people- if they can't manage it- they'll probably spray it!
Ironic when your best-laid plans end up making business for the chem Co.s...
-Rick