permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Roundup - agree with Flick

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Roundup - agree with Flick
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:06:59 -0700

John Irwin wrote:
Though many of us don't want to recognize anything as
a weed, there are some plants, like poison ivy, that just
aren't welcome.

And Bermuda grass.

So what are the best alternatives to Roundup? - I've heard
some here about vinegar, but it didn't work for me. What
formulas do work?

Vinegar contains acetic acid.

There seemed to be some promise for boiling water too.
Any success here - How close to boiling does it need to be?

Glacial acetic acid diluted to maybe 20% or stronger. I would recommend only buying this from a chemical supplier and having them make up the acid in the strength you specify. GAA is dangerous and often only comes full strength.
You don't want to do the dilution youself, let the supplier do it since they have the equipment and experience to handle it safely. You can add a surfactant to it to add to its effectiveness. I don't know whether it is in itself harmful to the environment but your supplier may know. A nonanionic surfactant was recommended by the supplier I talked to who could custom blend this into the acetic acid. Biopac makes bulk biodegradable dish detergent and laundry detergent (all liguid) that might work as a surfactant; I have no idea whether it is nonanionic. He also said that citric acid (a solid) could also be added but I can't see the need for that. I need some of this to get rid of several bad Bermuda grass infestations.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net