nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)

  • From: Karen Tillou <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:31:38 -0800

i do some prunus grafting in spring - i try to do the work on a mild day, when the root stock is starting to move. ( i don't know when that would be for PA)
if you have it, an unheated greenhouse is a good spot to keep the new grafts if they are still in pots - out of the rain and wind and snow, but not anywhere that will get too hot and baked either. sometimes just under an eave against the sheltered east side of a building is enough. and make sure you use a good grafting seal like the trowbridge's melty beeswax or the yellow latex stuff to get those little scions all sealed up tight. no open cut surfaces or wounds!
i have the most success with spring grafting european plums, but asian plums and peach often take too. i never have so many to do that i know if it was a me mistake or a weather/timing failure. if you've got the scions, you might as well try, right?

karen
oregon city OR / zone 8a wet