nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)

  • From: Amlie & Hayas <tamlie@netscape.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:02:15 -0500

Hi everyone -

People always refer to budding plums and peaches in the summer, rather than grafting over winter or at the start of Spring. Does grafting these trees present any special difficulties? I assume it must, otherwise you'd hear more references to grafting (instead of, or in addition to, budding).

I'd just as soon graft this spring and get a start on some new growth this year. Are there any special issues I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Tom (Lancaster Co., PA)