nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:30:38 -0400

>. . . it is ALL about content, not style. Let's be honest, how many
>growers and/or potential growers are browsing with their phones?

Oddly enough, I received this message on my phone, and am replying with my
phone. (please excuse typos). I agree with a lot of your post, but also
with some of the points on the 'other side'. Yes, it's all about content.
And yes, busy pages full of wallpaper and animated gadgets are annoying to
many - even some who are fairly high tech. (like me).

But content includes useful stuff like being able to join on-line. It
would be a huge improvement if you could join NAFEX on-line with a credit
card or Paypal.

The problem with doing this is that we'd need a real webmaster, which means
someone needs to volunteer. Also, it take (a little bit) of money. My
husband thinks you can buy space on a webpage with a plug-in credit card
handling function for between $50 and $100. And of course, the credit card
companies charge a fee - sometimes several percent for tiny 'vendors' like
NAFEX. But it's probably worth it. I'm sure we lose lots of potential
members, especially among the younger crowd, by requiring a snail-mail
check.

I might be able to help with the web page (if my husband helps me). I bet
there's someone more qualified out there. But we need a volunteer and the
backing of the board to do anything.
___
Ginda