nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 7:59:37 -0400

To those of you who think it's an insignificant inconvenience to require
people to mail a check in US funds: would it bother you at all if NAFEX only
accepted payment through PayPal? After all, it's free to sign up for a
PayPal account and everyone can get to a computer at the library of
something. Much less trouble than carrying plants cross-country in wagon
trains.

At 45 I rarely write checks, and spend a lot of time on-line. I found NAFEX
on-line (after a long search.) when I had an e-mail problem and got dropped
from the mailing list it took me months to get reconnected, because there
wasn't a person who responded to letters to the webmaster.

Different people like to interact with organizations in defferent ways, and a
healthy organization tries to accomodate most of the popular ways, which
change over time.

I find I am (at 45) one of the younger members of many organizations. Maybe
it's because i'm still old-fashioned enough to occassionally write checks.
Seriously, every one of those organizations frets about declining membership,
as old members age out and younger members don't come to take their place.
NAFEX has identified a relatively easy and minor change that might attract
new members. I hope NAFEX finds the resources to persue it.
___
Ginda