nafex - Re: [NAFEX] promo ideas, was "Getting the word..."

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] promo ideas, was "Getting the word..."
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:15:35 -0700 (PDT)

Another non-profit which I'm a member of does this promo: publishes a list of
what
they do & how they've grown over the years. It's a land preserve group, so
they can
talk about acreage, for example. NAFEX could list total paying
members/readers of
'Pomona', perhaps also with a tally of approximate acreage of rare & test
fruits
grown by members (any survey writers & tabulators on the list?) Is there is a
practical way to count the number of list posters & readers, or number of
discussion
strings per month? Or how about the number of great ideas & great plants
which
started w/ a NAFEX member and have had good effect on a bigger audience. The
library and its hard-to-find titles could be highlighted. Etc, etc.

Someone with better marketting background could suggest the best placement &
timing
for the various lists of NAFEX accomplishments.

How did I learn about NAFEX? My dad had a 'Pomona' subscription, in the early
years. He did some roadside fruit-exploring and the family helped pick &
process
the finds; I helped him with grafting ("Hold the branch so I can reach it!!")
Unfortunately, there wasn't much note-taking nor propagule prservation. His
interest came his uncle who had a home orchard and, as I've learned too late,
was
also a fruit explorer. Before that's what it was called. If he kept notes
they are
LONG gone, and most of his trees too because he neglected to test for
tolerance of
conditions in a rapidly expanding black-walnut grove, which he also planted.

So yes, promotional activity can be in several forms and may take a long
time. I
give trees to others, mostly neighbors so I can easily do an on-site visit
when they
want advice. I can't tell you the number of times I've said "Didn't I
mention deer-
& rodent-fence when we planted these?!" but even with my scolding, people
seem to
want to learn.

--- rob hamilton <> wrote:

> I am really enjoying the post on this subject!!
>
> Though the web page is of vital importance, I would like to hear more ideas
> on
> other ways of promotion as well. I like the workshop ideas.
>
> I would also like to invite anyone might be going to the Clemson meeting to
> find
> me and discuss some of these ideas with me personally. ESPECIALLY if you
> are a new
> member or or this will be you first attendance to our annual meeting.
>
> Just ask around for me, I am told I am hard to miss. :)
>
> Robert Hamilton

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html