msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR's committee

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR's committee
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:39:45 -0700

A copy of the NASAR MSAR standards will be available to
anyone who is interested. Those who choose to use those standards are not required to be NASAR members ... unless they are pursuing certification direct from
NASAR.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
I think perhaps this is where some of the confusion is coming from. Using standards and being certified by NASAR are two different things. For example we might all agree that the standards that NASAR's MSAR committee comes up with are right on and necessary. We might choose to implement those standards in our local areas. Our states or counties might also choose to implement them. However unless certification is required no one has to pay any money to anyone- you just implement and use the standards.

Our county requires all SAR personnel to be a minimum of SAR Tech III. In order to participate in the field SAR personnel must be SAR Tech II or better. Our unit pays for the training. We have all agreed that while it was a hassle having to give up so much of our free time the training was valuable. I think having MSAR standards that the entire SAR community can refer to is a valuable tool, a way of legitimizing what we do, a means of leveling expectations of performance from MSAR units, and long overdue.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR