msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training Agenda

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training Agenda
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:43:01 -0700

From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
> [...] One
> of the best bits of advice was MSAR isn't about horses its about SAR
> and don't ever feel that it isn't. [...]

You got excellent advice! Far too many MSAR don't have this perception, and
those are the units that will really have some challenges going from
"traditional" to contemporary MSAR.

I had a great phone conversation this afternoon when a friend in another
state called and asked to pick my brain. She said she wanted to start a SAR
Dog team - there is currently no SAR response in her 3 county area. Some K-9
cops had asked her to train their dogs for tracking, and that triggered her
interest in SAR. By the time we were done talking, she'd revised her
thinking from "train the handlers and dogs in tracking" to everyone needing
SAR training ... plus SAR Dog training ... and going after national
standards instead of trying to write her own. (Apparently no state
standards.) Tips for her getting things started included setting up
correctly so the county would be eligible for more grant funding. Mention
federal grant potential to the Sheriffs and County's Emergency Services and
they'll be a lot more enthusiastic about supporting the development of a
tri-county SAR team. Money talks ... ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA