msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Limited Expectations for MSAR?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Limited Expectations for MSAR?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:00:06 -0400

Our Maryland SAREX also tends to be focused towards ground pounders and dogs teams.  However, our statewide multi-agency exercise always has appropriate field assignments for our MSAR Units.  The leadership within our Mounted Team focuses on the importance of maintaining a professional working relationship with all segments of the SAR community.  We routinely conduct training classes for new dogs teams who have not had exposure to equines.  Yes folks, there is a proper way to introduce canines and handlers to equines, a working dog is much different than the behavior of a barnyard hound.  The SAR Communities of our State hold our Mounted Team with very high regard.

We are one of the few Mounted Teams in this Country who has developed and implemented a very intensive set of Team Standards, which includes goals and benchmarks created for both the handler and the mount. We have basic standards that new members must obtain, before they are even assigned Trainee Status.  All prospective trainees must be currently certified in first aid, then pass an extensive horse & rider evaluation that indicates they are deemed reasonability and prudently safe to continue the training process as a public service equine team.  As part of the progressive steps towards certification our trainees must attend a NASAR 40 hour Fundamental of Search and Rescue Course, pass a NASAR SAR Tech-III test, obtain both First Aide and CPR certification, attend a two day overnight field exercise with their mount and submit to a criminal background check.  No trainee is assigned to Operational Status for at least 12 months and must obtain operational status within 24 months.  We have numerous SAR and MSAR tests that each handler must complete.  We test the skills for POD, distance, compass and conduct exercises for both fields and woodlands that must be successfully completed. I often wonder how many MSAR members know what their (on foot) pace count is for 100 meters.

I read the comment about requiring MSAR handlers to be SAR Tech-II certified as the "standards-to-be" and totally disagree with that as being a "basic standard" for the National MSAR standard!  I believe that would be a great requirement for a higher level MSAR ratings.  As with NASAR dog teams, we need a parallel progressive set requirements and skill levels specific to the expertise of MSAR personnel!  Levels such as MSAR III, II and I, need to be implemented rather than making the basic requirements to high, which restricts advancement obtaining higher skill levels.  I believe it would the wise to consider (as a basic requirement) MSAR-III handlers to pass a recognized 40 hour FunSAR course, pass a NASAR SAR Tech-III test, obtain a basic first aide course, attend at least three (3) multi-agency mock exercises, and then pass an equine specific (timed) article search  timed in a 5 or 10 acre field and a one mile woodland trail search.  A MSAR-II could include a First Responder Medical Certification, SAR Tech-II, complete a 20 acre field search and a 5 mile article search, assigned as an Operational MSAR Unit on at least six (6) actual searches.  MSAR-I should more academic related and include additional items such as ICS, USAR, logistics and serving as a MSAR Team leader for at least six (6) searches, and have conducted a minimum of 12 MSAR documented training exercises.  Regardless of the minimum standards, a total of 40 hours of in-service training must be included and required for all MSAR levels.

Tomï Finkle
Training Officer
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team

Most MSAR standards I've seen make no reference to the rider being trained in SAR, and pretty much only address rider-equine skills and equipment. Yet that rider should be qualified in AT LEAST basic ground SAR, and hopefully will add some cross-training to be versatile with other skills. (The NASAR MSAR Standards-to-be will require a SARTECH II level of training for the general MSAR rider, if anyone wants to plan ahead and seek appropriate training. Since NASAR training isn't readily available to all, at least work with the same standards and come up with a "SARTECH II equivalent" status in your local training program.)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,