msar-riders - [MSAR] Training Agenda

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Training Agenda
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:07:45 -0700

Well, now that I have had timet to think I have some ideas to share with
the group. I have read through most of the posts regarding training at
events like SAR CITY. What I have distilled is that yes there is a need
for training without horses and yes many MSAR folks aren't going to
attend unless they can bring their equines. However I think that both
can be accomplished. The main factor would be providing safe places for
the equines to be housed during non-mounted classes.

I went through a bunch of materials I have regarding SAR training and
specifically canine training. I have made a list of classes I think
would be beneficial and possible at a conference. Some could be several
hours, some could be all day, some could be combined into a specific
track (ie advanced MSAR). The ones marked with * are intended without
mounts. See what you think:

*Emergency Response- the 24 hour pack and MSAR (the "not just duct tape"
class)
*Theory of Scent Behavior in Equines
Equine Scent Tracking Training
Night Searching Techniques
Starting the SAR horse (A beginning track to include Horsemanship
skills)
Training Experiences for the SAR Equine (What to expose them to and how)

Operant Conditioning- getting the response you want consistently
*Base Camp/Command Post Ops for MSAR teams
Real World SAR Training- field scenarios
*Nutrition and the Long Term Performance of SAR equines
Effective and Safe Crowd Control- More than See and Be Seen
*Shoeing Basics- how to make emergency repairs
Packing Out Victims
Basics of Training SAR equines to pull
*Working With Technical Teams (Swiftwater, Low Angle, etc)- What do we
need to know to work together?
Trailer Manuevering (A hands on the steering wheel course)
SAR Canines Meet SAR Equines - a getting to know you class
*By-Laws, Training Requirements, Standards- What works for you?
*Networking- MSAR meets MSAR to share what we know, what we want to know

*Emergency First Aid- Help for the MSAR Equine in the field
Tracking from Horseback

If I was offered such a selection- or even a few of these selections, I
think I could mobilize quite a few MSAR riders to attend. What about
you? Would you attend- one, some, all? Would you travel a long distance
to attend if these were offered?

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR