msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Expectations for MSAR?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Expectations for MSAR?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:03:10 -0400

Not a problem, there was no confusion on my part.  I am glad to learn that endorsements such as wildness and urban skills are being considered.  My personal comments were to point out that national standards need to be applicable to all MSAR personnel throughout Country.  As an example, currently in our State there is only one person certified to conduct SAR Tech-II testing.  Because of the testing exercises that are involved, the examination is generally limited to a couple of dozen applicants per year (this State is more progressive than others).  As was earlier stated, "NASAR training isn't readily available to all,"  in fact some areas do not even have SAR Tech-II certification available, unless a person travels hundreds of miles outside their response region, unlike a Tech-III test which is easily available via on-line.  Until all states have equal access to that level of training, considering that as a "general" standard as a foundation is something that I personally feel is not a realistic for a national standard, and that NASAR needs to improve its level of services provided.  I simply wanted to make other Teams realize that their own future and possible demise, is in the hands of very few people.   For the record, I am a firm supporter for National Standards!  However with the NASAR MSAR Standards Committee having such a strong South Western influence, I simply have concerns for those without a voice in other regions of this Country.  In no way were comments intended to offend the MSAR committee.

Tomï

Jorene@CEOates.com wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. I referred to SARTECH II as being the "general" standard for NASAR MSAR, not the "basic" standard. This is a requirement made by NASAR for the committee developing their MSAR standards. In the NASAR MSAR Standards-in-progress we are addressing an entry level for MSAR that would correspond with SARTECH III, general level that would correspond with SARTECH II, and higher level that would correspond with SARTECH I. Using that foundation of rider training in SAR, we're adding requirements - per level - that are specific to Mounted SAR.

So while SARTECH II will be the "general" standard for the MSAR rider, there will be an entry level and higher level in the core MSAR standards that will hopefully provide a foundation for additional areas of training. For example, many MSAR teams have no need of Wilderness MSAR training, so the core training would be used to provide a foundation requirement ... then Wilderness MSAR would be an additional training level - more of a specialty - for those who have a need to go there.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee
visit NASAR on www.nasar.org