msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Expanding the horizons of MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Expanding the horizons of MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:20:51 -0700

> Basic search missions are shorter now largely because the
> subject often has a cell phone and a vague idea where they
> are.  [...]

Use of the cell phone in our backcountry is extremely limited due to terrain
and coverage, and more typically non-existent. But you just gave one example
of the Rescue / Go fetch trend I mentioned that is reducing the active
participation in SAR for Mounted units, unless they're part of the Hasty
Team response. Most MSAR teams aren't prepared for Hasty Team response or
trained and equipped for much beyond the traditional MSAR response, and this
trend will have increasing impact on those MSAR teams.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs

We are finding this to be very true in our area. The surprising twist is that we, MSAR, have actually gotten a few MORE calls due to cell phone use. Our mountains interrupt decent cell phone coverage so if someone is able to get through they often can only give details about where they are at the time and cannot call again to give further details. Because our unit rides this wilderness regularly and thoroughly we often can identify an area rather quickly. We are also being called out more frequently as a first responding team- partly because we have managed to get our response time down to a minimum.

I agree with Jorene though- the writing on the wall says much more rescue is in our future than search.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR