msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards require NASAR training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards require NASAR training
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:42:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Will NASAR's MSAR standard allow for NASAR
> "or equivalent" training? Or will this standard allow for only
> NASAR's proprietary training?

In order to be certified as NASAR MSAR, all requirements must be met. That
would include testing and passing the appropriate NASAR SARTECH level.

I agree that this can be problematic, since NASAR instructors aren't readily
available nationwide, and not everyone chooses to go there. But local MSAR
Teams (or county/state standards) could plug in their comparable local SAR
training standards and just use the MSAR portion of the standards. However,
lacking the SARTECH certification they would not be eligible for NASAR MSAR
certification. The end result would be "NASAR MSAR equivalent" ... or
something.

I've been fiddling with a logo for NASAR MSAR to propose to NASAR. The
design would lend itself to simply removing the NASAR reference and leave a
logo for MSAR. That way teams who are "equivalent" but lacking the NASAR
certification could use the same logo ... without the NASAR reference. That
could function as a method to identify the MSAR skill level nationwide. I
don't know how others would view this, but it has been rattling around in my
head as having some potential if others are interested.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee
visit NASAR on www.nasar.org