market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] peppers
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:39:28 -0400

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com> wrote:
Shawnee, zone 5, not picking a peck of any kind of peppers and feeling humbled by the secret life of plants again.

I live in the South and heat is a constant issue here. For a couple of years, I didn't have a clue what would grow in the depths of summer nor how to transition to fall crops----when, etc. I had numerous failures and finally got to ignoring air temps and looking exclusively at soil temps for growing.

Peppers won't do anything once the soil temp reaches 85. It stops. The other issue is that the pollinators like bees don't stay out long....spending most of their time in the hive fanning themselves.

Anotherwords, nature goes to survival mode and won't be reproducing much of anything.

Of course, this is my version based on what I have to keep dealing with and it seems to be a valid truth for me now. I pay attention to this and have even gone to pollinating by hand that which just might flower, irrigating to try and hold soil temp down, mulching, etc.

These may be clues for possible solutions to what you have been encountering.

Pam
SC