market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peppers
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:55:42 -0400

On Sep 9, 2010, at 8:47 PM, stonecirclefarm tds.net wrote:

I am certified organic, grow on bare soil (no plastic mulch) in southcentral Wisconsin (near the border of zone 4 and 5) and grew the following varieties this year: Red and Golden Marconi, Gourmet, California Wonder, Golden CA Wonder, and Lipstick plus smaller quantities of a few heirlooms and hot peppers. As always, the hots produced fine. The only sweet peppers that set decent amounts of fruit were Lipstick (but fruit quality has been poor) and an heirloom: Feher Ozon

I've never had much luck with Gourmet or California Wonder, and am trialing Golden CA Wonder this year and not very pleased with that either. The best gold ripening sweet pepper for the North has unfortunately been off the market for years; that was Orobelle; and I can't find Golden Bell any longer either. (I've been trying to breed out the Orobelle, but the results have been somewhat mixed.) Peacework is a nice red, Fedco carries it. It was bred for organic culture in the North.

Having said that: one reason to grow a lot of different things is that once in a while there is just plain a bad year for any given crop. Our peppers are passable this year, but they set fruit late; and our tomatoes set fruit very late -- lovely huge plants, no fruitset for a long time. They did eventually set and now -- finally -- we have ripe tomatoes. Um, it's *September*. Better late than never, I suppose; but we sure missed a lot of sales earlier. And I don't know what the problem was -- unless it was hot nights at normal fruitset time, which is possible.