market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peppers (and tomato flavor)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peppers (and tomato flavor)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:41:39 -0400

On Sep 10, 2010, at 1:45 AM, Mike Rock wrote:

If all the tons of green tomatoes get ripe I will be buried. All heirloom varieties, some unknown, gifts from a friend. One of them that has ripened is absolutely, zip, zero...tasteless. Very pretty red, but tasteless. I had to try another from the same vine just to check. Weird. The large pink Amish tomatoes are awesome for flavor.

Tomato flavor, I suspect, can vary wildly from one location to another -- not just between places in entirely different climates, but sometimes between farms on different sides of the same hill: a variety that's fantastic in one place can have poor flavor in another.

Some varieties, of course, don't taste like much of anything no matter where they're grown. (Maybe those were bred for "very pretty red", not for flavor?)

-- can't remember if I thought to say this: Islander purple sweet peppers have been about normal, started a little late maybe. Our other peppers were late to set fruit but did do so and we're now getting ripe ones. Some other growers in the area seemed to have normal fruit set, others didn't. Maybe it's a combination of variety and weather??