market-farming - [Market-farming] peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] peppers
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:52:21 -0500

This discussion on peppers is another example of why I love this list serve.  I had been fretting over my bad pepper year alone; I never have a bad "anything "year without understanding the reasons why, but I am stumped now.
I too, had plants with great foliage and few fruit, cayenne did just fine but every sweet pepper pretty much failed.  Lipstick, and Carmen-a bull's horn type from Johnny's-broke my heart.  Both of these have been my staples for years...movie star, cover-of-the-seed-catalogue perfect usually.  But nothing in 2010 and I can't find a reason why.  I finally faced the fact that even a new crop of flowers wouldn't have time to ripen here in North Central Illinois-close enough to throw a cat over the border at the cheddarheads-and pulled everything up...replanted with second season crops.
Very interested in any ideas....
Shawnee, zone 5, not picking a peck of any kind of peppers and feeling humbled by the secret life of plants again.