market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bill S510

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bill S510
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:34:40 -0400

I think this quote from the discussion is key to most of us:

"Not in the package but still under serious negotiation for inclusion in the bill when it reaches the floor of the Senate is an amendment by Senator John Tester (D-MT) to exempt food facilities with under a certain annual gross sales threshold from preventative control plan requirements and to exempt farmers who primarily direct market product to consumers, stores or restaurants from the bill’s produce standards regulations.  Our expectation is this amendment will be successfully negotiated over the coming weeks and will be accepted as part of the final bill once the bill reaches the Senate floor."

We sell direct to customer (off farm and a single farmers' market), restaurant,  and wholesale to reseller and yeah, I'd very much like to see an exemption. This whole bill is a joke.

I know here in Ohio we have the OPGMA which is trying to "preempt" any type of Food Safety or Leafy Greens deal.  The whole thing is being pushed by a certifying firm in Michigan yet being signed onto to by both the OPGM and OEFFA (for what rational reason I do not understand).  Because I deal directly with restaurants I fall into the next level of over regulation and need constant yearly water testing and classes to meet a the whole labeling agreement.  Essentially, they will be promoting that anyone growing in the State of Ohio that does not have a label they pose a risk to food safety and try to direct buyers to those on the label only.  A boon for certification companies but no one else benefits for sure.  We had several "listening" hearings last year  sponsored by OSU Extension and most folks were a little put off by the whole thing.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Our nation is bankrupt on many levels.  We cannot fund current food safety laws much less monitor all food being imported into this country that plays by different rules (anyone that tells me international organic certification and non-organic food safety is somehow better than in the US is selling a bridge).  Until imported food can be strictly viewed on site and certified by Americans I see no reason why we should play to a stricter level of enforcement.

Finally, I think we need to ask ourselves, do we pass legislation in this nation to guarantee no one dies EVER except from old age?  Do we eliminate inground pools, cars, firearms, sharp sticks, sidewalks with ice and snow?  Do we wrap Americans in bubblewrap?  Food born illness accounts for a fraction of a fraction of fraction of deaths of the population: .0000167% if my math is correct.  Yes I think companies that break the rules and play fast and loose to achieve profits over safety need to get hammered when they cause debilitating injuries or death.  I, however, question the wisdom of a government that promotes cheap mass produced food AND is attempt to force us all into the same mold through continuous regulation, documentation, and fees.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855