market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: WENDY & RANDY GRAY <hoemangray AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:20:03 -0500 (EST)

Regards to the list.

This is a great discussion, even if a bit sad, but one worth having. I work
full time and am still attempting to develop my cutflower farm into a
profitable venture (hard to do when I have to hire people to do what I would
be doing if I wasn't working fulltime. But, I'm also been the main wage
earner for our family, which makes it hard to leave). I'm trying to focus on
my business plan and make it a viable endeavor - if not, may have a tough
choice to make. We also have two children...one who likes to help, and one
who doesn't!

My husband and his brother (former orchardists), decided 4 years ago to quit
being farmers...for many of the reasons mentioned so far. Fortunately we
still have the land, but haven't had the energy/money to do much with it. We
decided to lease out part of it this year to another orchardist with similar
values. But struggled with whether this was the best use for the land, and
the fact that our children would not be able to farm it until the lease
expires in 27 years (should they choose to). We kept some land that I hope
to be able to expand my flower farm to (presently is at our property which is
12 miles away).

I am hopeful that as the move towards "local" everything increases, we will
all have a better opportunity for farming and marketing our products in our
regions. Growing For Market features that topic this month...and it is
encouraging. I also think that a move towards eliminating some of the
assistance for non-specialty crops and helping the smaller farmer who
provides local food and jobs is necessary. i.e. pears/apples/cutflowers for
instance are a specialty crop that don't receive a lot of assistance and are
on very uneven fields with imports - I'm not an expert here, but it concerns
me a lot.

I also think that helping non-farmers understand the realities of farming and
the potential impacts of having no farms is critical to our longterm
viability.

Ironically, I found a newsbite about Bill Gates supporting farmers in other
countries...maybe he needs to join our listserve! Farmers here could also
use support!
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/01/25/davos.main/index.html

Ok, enought rambling, thanks for listening! Take care everyone!! Your
skills and knowledge are things that many people don't want to learn...so
they are marketable...and valuable!

Wendy in OR z6ish (14 this morning)....