market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rodents in High Tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rodents in High Tunnels
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:53:16 -0500

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:16:14 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I'm relatively new to the list. I have a small CSA and homestead in
>Northwestern Maryland.
>
>I'm wondering if folks have had problems with rodents in their high
>tunnels, particularly in the winter months, and what kinds of controls
>you've used.
>
>Thanks so much!

We only have one hoophouse (I'm a gardener, although a serious one, not a
market farmer).

Our cat spends a lot of time in the hoophouse, during spring, summer, and
fall - she really likes it there. She has a done a very good job of
rodent-control.

I haven't grown things in the hoophouse in the dead of winter yet; we're in
northern Pennsylvania in the Appalachians and it's COLD here in winter.
I'll try next fall to keep a few hardy things going as long as I can,
however.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania

Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
the one we have.