market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rodents in High Tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rodents in High Tunnels
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:58:17 -0500

Pat - There is at least one very common human ailment (it leads to memory loss and, eventually, to blindness, if I remember correctly....) that is spread by cat manure. It is not good to encourage the possibility of cat's or their manure being in the vicinity of crops being produced for food. I keep cats OUT of our hoophouses.

Of course, there is a whole set of problems associated with rodents and their manure, as well.

If it's rats: we've had success in flooding their holes and catching them when they emerge. I've never had more than a couple move in for the winter in a year.

-Allan
Shepherdstown, WV