market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Slow Food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Slow Food
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:58:06 -0500

Sue -

A great food education and preservation organization internationally, with some great local organizations in the USofA.

An organization that has failed to pickup the ball nationally in the USofA and, in many ways, has slid from a mission of sustainable conservation to being 'just another (high dollar) drinking club.'

My biggest complaint about Slow Food in the USofA is that it tends to promote and support 'Gentlemen farmers' over grassroots people.

Also, unfortunately, if past experience means anything, someone from Slow Food USA will contact me about the remarks I've made in this post.

Here's hoping that somehow the spirit of SLOW FOOD's Terra Madre catches on in the USofA!

-Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV

Sorry I am so stupid, but can you all tell me about Slow Food? I am probably the only one that doesn't really know about this. I looked at the website, but still, I don't know if this is a good organization or not.
Thank you,
Sue Wells
Vermont