market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SHEILA PAYNE" <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:56:01 -0700

Gary,

We recently had a "new farmer" program sponsored through our local extension office.  Three experienced vegetable farmers growing organically on anywhere from 6 to 120 acres discussed their operations. They all agreed it is hard, but they all seemed to be making it work for them. (One commented that he only worked half days in the spring and fall  -- 24 hours in day, so half a day is -- yup, a lot). They were positive enough to encourage others who were interested.  Things were going well enough that one was building a new house on the farm, one just had a baby, and one was expanding operations each year.  So it is possible.  There's hope.