market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:02:36 -0600

Regards to the list:

This winter seems to be really rough on everyone. Our hearts to out to
everyone. My husband was fired from his job two days after Christmas after
working there 19 years. He drove 100 miles one way and was usually the first
one there. They didn't give him a reason and have tried to fix it so he
can't draw unemployment (we're appealing that). He is 63 years old. We have
been trying to get the farm paid off and don't have money put back for
retirement. We certainly weren't ready yet. We're trying to hang in there
until social security starts and we have produce to sell. He has applied for
VA health benefits and my COBRA payments are $470 a month. I am awaiting
back surgery, so I have to pay the insurance. When we wake up in the
morning, a huge wave of gloom seems to have settled over both of us. It's a
struggle to fight our way up and out of the depression, but we keep forcing
ourselves to say "We're gonna make it!" The farm will HAVE to support us
completely now, when before we had the income from his job to fall back on
if there was a crop failure. So we have to smarten up and make it work. For
the first time in our lives, we are considering asking for public
assistance.

What is RCD?

Marie in Missouri