market-farming - [Market-farming] Hope?? Yes folks are making good livings on small farms.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: <wlens AT exnihil.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hope?? Yes folks are making good livings on small farms.
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:19:04 -0500

I think it is important to find folks who are making a good living on a
small farm, and learn from them. The various organic/sustainable
organizations/conferences probably are a good start. We are fortunate to
have a yearly 3-day workshop in our region, that usually feature three veg
farmers, and intensively goes through their practices and economics. The
conference costs $175 (lodging additional but inexpensive). We have folks
drive to New York from Wisconsin for this.

Anyone in the northeast wanting info, please email me off list. The
organizers don't want to flooded with emails, but I could compile a list for
next year's email annoucements and forward it to them for next year (this
year's workshop was two weeks ago).

The started under the auspices of the Regional Farm & Food Project in
Albany, NY, and now is being continued by a group of veg farmers.
Participation is limited to about 100 folks. The price is scary before
you've been to one, but I have always gotten info that more than pays for
itself, and the encouragement that comes with talking with folks who have
paid for their house, are putting aside for retirement, are investing in
making the farm more efficient but in such a way that the investments have
quick cost-recovery.

The conferences are best for someone who has a couple of years under their
belt - you are able to better take advantage of the info and not take up
inordinate time asking basic questions during the workshop sessions (plenty
of time for talking with folks over lunch and supper).

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe