market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Got Hope??
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:02:41 -0500

However, this winter I seem to be in a
> real lull about farming. Partly it's to do with being kicked around for
the
> past 2 years with the stress of the whole RCD fraud case. However, I'm
also
> feeling a bit concerned about the stress of farming in general. We as
> farmers put ourselves in the storm of so much risk every year.

Ploughshare; I sympathize! I've been feeling the same way for the last
year or so. I'm a single mother trying to run a farm by myself. My kids
(12 and 14) aren't interested and it's often more work than it's worth to
get them to help; like their father, they hate farming. I'm 52 now and
don't have the energy I used to. For the last couple of years, I worked
hard, but the farm makes so little money (had to buy out my ex's share of
the farm, so I have a BIG mortgage). I have to get a full-time job just to
pay the bills, but then when will I find the time and energy to farm?

I'm about ready to give up and have a 'normal' life....no more tending the
stove in the greenhouse at 3am on a cold morning, or dragging hoses to
water the cows because the barn water froze (again), no more dealing with
customers who expect watermelons in May. Imagine...just go to work at
someone ELSE'S business, leave the problems at work when I come home, get
a regular paycheck...enough to actually pay the bills. Wow; what a
concept.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA