market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Web site changes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Web site changes
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:21:24 -0600

Liz Pike wrote:
> Rick, your site is much improved over the old one, good job! A bit of
> grammar correction is needed on the front page however, last sentence "We
> also sell produce too!"....using also & too is redundant...

I debated that with myself. This is a kinda homey way of talking. I suppose
it will come across as too "down home." :) But in our area I would have to
say that it is a common phrase. Sort of like "yah den too."

> As far as what file format to make available on your site, assuming
> customers who view your site have Word or access to a program
> that can read
> ..docs is a wrong assumption. The burden of ease of use is in your hands,
> not theirs. You're making your customers (if that's who your aiming your
> website for) carry the burden to read whatever it is you're offering.

Liz, there is some confusion here. The normal file format is going to be
html for most sites since you need to have the customer viewing the
information. You would rightly not use .doc files or any other word
processor files because that defeats the whole point of easy access.

However, I was only talking about a method of accessing a specific
formatting example for a brochure for other market farmers, and no one else,
unless they stumbled upon a link and clicked on it.

And, no, I am not in the least concerned about a customer seeing this since
we normally hand them out all the time. I am at a loss to understand the
paranoia expressed about this. We WANT them to see it. It is just that to
share this information with other market farmers would otherwise require
mailing the brochure, or as was suggested, use a .pdf.

> Of course, sharing files between collegues is easier when everyone has the
> same format--I agree, but out on the web, it's your job to make your files
> accessible to your customers (if that's your goal), which is why Jay Gee
> recommended Acrobat. Acrobat is free as a reader. Sure, offer files in
> Word, but include as many other formats as possible also.

I personally despise pdf's and avoid them if at all possible. They are huge
bandwidth hogs, are awkward to read, compared to normal WP docs, and
although the reader is free, Acrobat sure is not and in my view is rather
expensive. About as much for the program as it costs me to host my web site
for an entire year!!

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm