market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sort of OT: Why use .pdf files

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sort of OT: Why use .pdf files
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:41:57 -0800

Rick, you have the oddest way of looking at things!

I'm too hungry to go point by point and it would be useless but

1. .doc was an extension created for MS Word. It is a proprietary format,
readable by many other word processors.

2. pdf is NOT a proprietary format. There are other ways to create pdf files
other than acrobat.

3. The fact that you can do layout and web publishing in Word does not mean
that you should.

A much bigger issue is a way the stuff looks. You may not want to be as
slick as me but good design is key. That means color, contrast and balance
and most of the home web sites I've seen don't address this. Also an
understanding of when to use italics, bold and different weights is key.

Why don't you ask nicely and have someone create you a PDF and offer both
version s of your brochure for download?

Steve