market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Web site changes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Web site changes
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:36:34 -0800 (PST)

Rick Williams wrote:

>In the business world, it is pretty standard to have MS Word .doc files
>available. In fact, it is the primary format that I use with others who
>share brochures, mailings, and other grazing type information that I

If you are using your web site to communicate with customers,
you shouldn't be using it as a means to communicate marketing
information to other farmers UNLESS you have a secured area
(SSL or https) that is available via password protection.

>What you will almost never see is Adobe Acrobat files shared between
>individuals. This is due to the very high cost (nearly $200) for buying the

One of the most valuable reasons for investing in
Acrobat is that the author can protect his/her
material against theft.

Farmers who want their brochures to work should
NOT be copying the work of other farmers, especially
farmers in the same region.

>Yes, it should be something you can download and save as a file to view.
>Text is completely useless for this purpose since the point is to have the
>formatting of the word processed document and to be able to read it and then

Text is not only not useless, it is easier to modify in
a word processor or graphics program if you know
what you are doing.

Again, copying and regurgitating someone else's
advertising pieces is likely to dilute their value to
both parties attempting to use them.

The more, the less merry because the cash register
rings less over time.

Sorry Rick. I know about that one.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming