market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] defining market farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] defining market farming
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:09:19 -0600

Liz Pike wrote:
> Rick, this is and never was a list dedicated solely to the
> marketing part of
> farming.

That is correct and I can not imagine anyone disagreeing with that. But as I
pointed out, It is at least 50% (but probably a lot more than 50%) of the
total picture.

> Certainly it's a part of what we do, but so is growing, whether
> it's crops, livestock or image (which btw, really set me off when you said
> "growing is the least of our worries, anybody can do it, there are tons of
> gardening lists"---commercial growing is far removed from
> "gardening" hence
> the reason for this list, but I digress.)

This should not upset you at all. The growing part is not a problem for most
of us. Unless we really are trying to grow for the wholesale or commodity
markets. Then it is the most important thing for those folks. We grow
relatively tiny quantities of produce and meat.

> "Market Farm" refers to a small
> acreage farm that directs market their goods....not wholesale, not
> commodity, etc.

Well that is one kind of market farm. But it is much broader than just a
small acreage. The list is defined as small scale, not small acreage. Or are
you changing the definition? Let's face it, the work load is quite
substantial enough from a large garden, that it takes up much of the total
time available. Lets say a one or two acre garden like we have.

But with animal agriculture included, and you really do need animals in the
mix at some point to be a truly sustainable farm, you need a larger land
base than for small quantity production of produce. And I realize this does
not include everyone, but it is something that can be included in the
marketing message if you are trying for sustainability.

You need two to three acres of land per AU of livestock. So even with 20
head, you would need at least 40 to 60 acres. To some folks that is a very
small acreage and to some it may seem huge. We have 150+ acres and mostly
tillable. About the equivalent of 120 acres of moderate to very good grazing
land. Our maximum number of ruminants is about 100 (not AU's) during the
peak of the summer. We could load it more, but have not wanted to do this.

Even if our total production was able to be sold as direct marketed product,
(takes more than a year to nearly two years for the finished product as you
know), we still would not have a huge family income. With commodity
production, it is a pittance. Which is why we try and market istead. But we
easily can produce 5 to 10 times what we currently direct market and we can
do it with only a family labor. You could not do that with vegetable farming
that goes beyond a garden. You would have to hire in additional labor.

> "Market Farming provides the small-scale farmer a way to network
> with other
> farmers, to discuss appropriate scale production methods, equipment,
> marketing, profitability, cropping sequences, diversification,
> sustainability, working with extension agents, private consultants, and
> fellow farmers, and anything else involved in making a living and
> providing
> food and fiber from your small acreage farm."

That covers a wide field. Based on the above description it would seem that
less than half would pertain to the actual growing of the crop. And that is
reasonable considering what we market farmers are trying to do. And small
scale is in the eye of the beholder. We have several CSA's in the area, one
of which has over 400 CSA customers. They have to hire in as many as 15+
workers during the peak workload. Are you suggesting that they are not a
market farm?

> This description has defined this list from it's infancy. Getting so deep
> into discussions about xml, fonts and file formats, even if this were a
> "marketing" list, belongs on a computer list, not here.

Maybe you don't value this information, but some of us obviously do. My
thinking is that list owners should stay out of the way unless people get
far off topic and are not indicating it is OT ... like you said a few weeks
ago. As of late, you have changed your view on this and have been making
some pretty strong threats of even removing people from the list for what
you personally perceive as off topic comments. Now you are making claims
that web site issues are not even on topic. You need to rethink things a bit
here. This stuff is not only important, but it is what we market farmers
need to understand and implement.

This IS a marketing list for farmers. Marketing is first and foremost the
purpose of the list in my view.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm