market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Critique My Website

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Larry Haftl" <larry AT larryhaftl.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Critique My Website
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:10:26 -0800

> >those ultra slick sites make me suspicious that a farmer is not really
> behind it all and there is some
> > kind of advertising team hired.
>
> What's wrong with a farmer hiring an advertising team/person?? Aren't we
> entitled to the same opportunities others use to grow their businesses???
> Sure, I get an initial wave of wariness when I see a farm with a "put
> together" image...professional signage, regular print or tv/radio
> advertising,etc--but then I realize it's mostly because I'm jealous, not
> that the image is too slick.

This exchange made me chuckle... at myself. Remined me of a similar
experience. I happened upon a website that was extremely slick and massively
information-rich. Immediately thought that there must be a well-funded large
organization behind the website and wondered what it was they were really
trying to sell me.

Turns out it's a family-operated website (mother, father, three children
with two of the children doing the webmonkey stuff) about their "urban
homestead" where they produce about two TONS of food per year on about 1/5
acre in downtown Pasadena, California. They put up the site solely to help
others learn from their experiences. They do have a related business
(sellling a lot of that produce to local restaurants and such) but they
don't sell anything through the website (have enough problems just trying to
keep up with current demand for their stuff).

The site is, to me, definitely a delight and worth a visit:

http://pathtofreedom.com

Larry Haftl
larry AT larryhaftl.com
http://LarryHaftl.com