market-farming - [Market-farming] defining market farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] defining market farming
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:16:45 -0500

Rick, this is and never was a list dedicated solely to the marketing part of
farming. Certainly it's a part of what we do, but so is growing, whether
it's crops, livestock or image (which btw, really set me off when you said
"growing is the least of our worries, anybody can do it, there are tons of
gardening lists"---commercial growing is far removed from "gardening" hence
the reason for this list, but I digress.) "Market Farm" refers to a small
acreage farm that directs market their goods....not wholesale, not
commodity, etc. Here's the description of this list from the home page and
the faqs:

"Market Farming provides the small-scale farmer a way to network with other
farmers, to discuss appropriate scale production methods, equipment,
marketing, profitability, cropping sequences, diversification,
sustainability, working with extension agents, private consultants, and
fellow farmers, and anything else involved in making a living and providing
food and fiber from your small acreage farm."

This description has defined this list from it's infancy. Getting so deep
into discussions about xml, fonts and file formats, even if this were a
"marketing" list, belongs on a computer list, not here.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com