market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Web site changes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Web site changes
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:22:45 -0600

Jay Gee wrote:
> If you are using your web site to communicate with customers,
> you shouldn't be using it as a means to communicate marketing
> information to other farmers UNLESS you have a secured area
> (SSL or https) that is available via password protection.

What in the world does this have to do with what we are talking about? All I
suggested was to put a link on the web site, of those who have web sites, so
that those of us on the list could look at a brochure from that farm. None
of this other stuff is even remotely relevant to that. You are coming across
as a bit paranoid about even sharing information:) Lighten up at least a
little bit.

Most of us would actually be pleased if someone actually read our "brochure"
via the internet. If they happened to be close by they might even be
interested in a product, or pass on the information to another person who
might be a customer. In fact, the web site has the brochure information on
it (plus a lot more), but the formatting is obviously different. I don't
have the problem with sharing that you do. I would find it surprising if
many here were that proprietary.

> One of the most valuable reasons for investing in
> Acrobat is that the author can protect his/her
> material against theft.

Well, that is mostly theory as anyone can take the layout or information and
key it in to their computer if they wish.

> Farmers who want their brochures to work should
> NOT be copying the work of other farmers, especially
> farmers in the same region.

My view is that if it works for one farm, it is likely going to work for
other farms. No different than purchased templates. Are you familiar with
Brunt's work?

After all, that is the point of coming up with some different layouts. Isn't
that what you proposed to do? By looking at different layouts and
(hopefully) some good information, one can come up with a synthesis for what
they like.

> Again, copying and regurgitating someone else's
> advertising pieces is likely to dilute their value to
> both parties attempting to use them.
>
> The more, the less merry because the cash register
> rings less over time.
>
> Sorry Rick. I know about that one.

All the stuff is regurgitated. There is no really totally new thing. It is
putting the sequence of information and format in different arrangements,
but there are only a few basic arrangements. Just take a look at any of the
various "expert" web developers.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm