market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:03:28 -0500

RDH wrote:
> I'm
> no genius, but the Homestead project was the result of many hours of
> deliberation and discussing these very same issues long before
> the panic and
> anger started. I also had no support from others financial or
> otherwise in
> getting the Homestead Foods project started. I had lots of verbal support
> which is usually the case.

Based on what a number of folks have said and your experience, it does
appear to be unlikely that there will be a sudden groundswell for a new
term. Even if it actually did happen, it would be something that would very
gradually catch on and have to get to a certain point to reach critical
mass, just like when J.I. Rodale coined the word organic.

Without a certification program you have very little to offer the consumer.
And if you don't have to sell your food into the commodity markets, and are
selling it direct, then no label or certification seems to be needed anyway
so it seems like a moot point. I do not know of anyone who has rejected our
produce because we are not certified. They may just go to a certified
organic producer though and just bypass us. We have had people ask about our
beef, but it did not affect their decision.

> consumers don't need a pile of certificates to convince them that you are
> growing healthy food. Most people can sense pretty quick the difference
> between a BS Artist and a sincere person.

From our experience, there are those who even resell commercially grown
produce and the customer has no way of knowing. One farmer I know sells
sweet corn and he is honest about his practices. But he pointed out that he
knows others who will only sell during the sweet corn window and the corn is
all produced with conventional practices but sold as organic (if anyone
asks) to the public at roadside stands, farmers markets, etc.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers