market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:27:44 -0700

To me the question is not just one of "certified
organic" versus organic versus non certified, but
one of a commitment and mindset to produce the
best possible foods and other products across the
board that adhere to some very fundamental
principles of stewardship as well as safe,
wholesome, quality products for ourselves, our
families, the public and future generations. But,
it goes beyond even this in that it reflects the
will and desire of the producers..US..to do this
because WE feel that it is the thing to do. We
aren't being mandated, legislated, or certified
into doing this....we're doing it because it is
who we are and what we believe. This we hold in
common with many other small farmers wherever they
may be. Yes, organic is a part of it, but we are
establishing the foundation for a broader context
of principles that affect how we go about doing
what we do and what we produce. Healthy,
wholesome, and nutritious is what we strive for
because it is what WE and OUR FAMILIES will be
eating. It tastes better and it is better for us,
and it is SAFE and it is not artificial and
plastic. By adhering to this concept of
commitment, we stand a far greater chance of
success than if we appear to be merely resisting a
certification program. We are NOT seeking to form
another hierarchy or bureaucracy. It is the
principles that we need at this point, and a logo
and slogan that represent those principles, so our
customers can recognize our commitment to quality,
healthy, safe, and delicious fresh foods and other
products.

Rainbows End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road
Stuart, Virginia 24171