market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:40:32 -0500

> Nonsense. Nobody accidentally misunderstood what I said. Market
> farming by
> definition is not commodity selling to middlemen and processors, but
> directly to consumers.

> Since we're market farmers here, you're telling us
> in effect that this whole discussion about certification is irellevant.

Yes, from the discussion here, it seems very clear that direct marketers
have not found a need for certification. That is why I am asking why people
are wanting to come up with some other kind of certification in lieu of
organic.

What will this do for the market farmer who has direct relationship
marketing already?

For those who do additional marketing, beyond your the above definition of
market farming, then it might make sense. For those who must market into the
commodity markets (wholesale markets) and want some differentiation that
will be a known quantity through the food pathway to the consumer, then it
makes sense for organic certification.

But based on the above definition of market farming, those who sell their
products to a wholesaler, are not involved in market farming.