market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:11:47 -0500

All certified organic producers will be USDA certified. They will allow
agents - third parties - companies, states, co-ops, etc - to do the
certification. They will be trained, and I'd guess maybe tested. A county
cert. program could be set up, but if it was organic, it would have to be
USDA organic. I'm not sure how the labeling will work for programs that
consider themselves "over and above" the level the USDA has set. At one
time, that was not going to be allowed, but I haven't kept up with it
recently. If there are any certifying agents on this list, they may have
more information . Alison